- Tesla’s latest vehicle is the bizarre-looking Cybertruck — an all-electric truck with a starting price just under $40,000.
- The truck isn’t scheduled to enter production until “late 2021,” according to Tesla.
- But there’s a way to get your hands on a (very tiny) version of the Cybertruck earlier: This December, Mattel is releasing two versions of the Cybertruck as remote control cars!
- Yes, at least one version comes with a “reusable cracked window vinyl sticker” — a reference to the actual Cybertruck’s window being repeatedly broken on stage during its debut.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Tesla’s got a wild new vehicle that looks nothing like anything the company has made before, and it’s even got a bold new name to match: “Cybertruck.”
The new Tesla truck isn’t expected to enter production until “late 2021,” but interested parties can get their hands on a (miniature) version of the Cybertruck starting this December — care of Mattel.
That’s right: The iconic toy company responsible for Hot Wheels is taking on Tesla’s latest hotness with not just one but two rad-looking remote control cars that are expected to arrive later this year.
Here’s what we know:
There are two versions of Mattel’s Cybertruck: A 1:10 scale limited edition, and a 1:64 scale standard edition.
There’s a pretty major price difference that comes with that size difference: The larger costs $400, and the smaller costs just $20. Both are functional RC cars.
Still, even at $400, the fancier version of the RC Cybertruck is a fraction of the actual cost of a Cybertruck — which is just shy of $40K to start.
The differences between the larger model, which Mattel calls “hobby grade,” and the smaller model are more than just size: The $400 version does a bunch of rad stuff.
Mattel says the more expensive RC Cybertruck includes the following features:
Real Life. Real News. Real Voices
Help us tell more of the stories that matterBecome a founding member
- “Functioning headlights and taillights to maintain visibility
- All-wheel drive featuring Chill or Sport modes
- Tonneau ‘Vault’ cover
- Telescopic tailgate that folds out into loading ramp
- Removeable plastic body to reveal interior and access internal battery and drivetrain system
- Reusable cracked window vinyl sticker
- 9.9V, 3300mAh, rechargeable battery, 1:1 charge/run time”