- Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau clarified comments he made in a video that emerged Wednesday that appeared to show him and other world leaders mocking President Donald Trump.
- Trudeau said his remark about seeing Trump staffers’ “jaws drop” was in reference to Trump’s “unscheduled” press conferences and his announcement that the 2020 G7 conference will be held at Camp David.
- A video from a Tuesday reception at Buckingham Palace appeared to show world leaders, including Trudeau, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, and French President Emmanuel Macron, mocking Trump.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told reporters on Wednesday that comments he made appearing to mock President Donald Trump referred to Trump’s “unscheduled” press conferences and his announcement that the 2020 G7 conference will be held at Camp David.
A video from a Tuesday reception at Buckingham Palace appeared to show several world leaders, including Trudeau, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, French President Emmanuel Macron, Prime Minister Mark Rutte of the Netherlands, and Princess Anne mocking Trump during the events celebrating the 70th anniversary of the NATO alliance.
Trudeau went on to say his remarks won’t impact his relationship with Trump, despite the fact that the president called the Canadian leader “two-faced” after the comments were reported. Trudeau added he was “glad” to discuss Trump’s concerns about Canada and Europe’s NATO defense spending.
Trump was caught on a hot mic on Wednesday remarking that his comment about Trudeau being “two-faced” was “funny.”
—Tonda MacCharles (@TondaMacC) December 4, 2019
The video was first posted to Twitter with captions by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. Trudeau doesn’t mention Trump by name but appears to make fun of his unexpected Tuesday-morning press conference, during which Trump attacked Macron for saying last month that NATO was going brain-dead.
“He was late because he takes a 40-minute press conference off the top,” Trudeau said as the other leaders laughed.
He went on, “You just watched his team’s jaws drop to the floor.”
Johnson and Macron’s remarks aren’t audible in the video.
Rosie Perper contributed to this report.
Real Life. Real News. Real Voices
Help us tell more of the stories that matterBecome a founding member
- Read more:
- Think Trump will get impeached? Gambling sites say the odds are in your favor
- Trump could be impeached and removed from office but still win reelection in 2020
- Over half of the House of Representatives support the impeachment inquiry against Trump — see all of them here
- Everything you need to know about Trump’s impeachment process: What’s happened, who the players are, and what comes next
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe