- A Washington Post photo of Ambassador Gordon Sondland testifying before the House on Wednesday in the impeachment hearings is gaining attention on social media.
- The photo shows Sondland smirking against a background of dozens of reporters angling for a picture of the ambassador.
- Sondland told the House panel that he was pressured to work with President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, to convince the Ukrainians to investigate Hunter Biden.
- Follow our live coverage of the hearing here.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
A Washington Post photo is gaining traction on social media for capturing the drama of President Donald Trump’s impeachment hearings.
The photo shows Ambassador Gordon Sondland smirking at the camera, as a sea of photojournalists angle for a shot behind him.
One Twitter user compared it to famous photo of President Donald Trump, smiling to himself during a dinner at Mar-a-Lago.
—Yashar Ali 🐘 (@yashar) November 20, 2019
Others came up with captions for the photo, imagining what Sondland was thinking to himself when the picture was taken.
“You’re probably wondering why I paid a million dollars to be here,” The Daily Show tweeted, referencing the idea that Sondland “bought” his ambassadorship.
—The Daily Show (@TheDailyShow) November 20, 2019
—Christina Ginn (@NBChristinaGinn) November 20, 2019
—Dave Itzkoff (@ditzkoff) November 20, 2019
Real Life. Real News. Real Voices
Help us tell more of the stories that matterBecome a founding member
Sondland is testifying before the house as part of President Trump’s impeachment hearings.
He told the House panel on Wednesday that he was forced to work with the president’s lawyer, Rudy Giuliani, to pressure the Ukrainians to conduct politically-motivated investigations in exchange for military aid and a White House visit.
- Read more:
- Fox News anchor Bret Baier says the latest impeachment witness testimony is ‘very damaging’ to the GOP
- Somehow A$AP Rocky made it into President Trump’s impeachment hearings, and the internet is very puzzled
- ‘He loves your a–‘: Trump’s ambassador to the EU testifies that he and the president use ‘lots of 4-letter words’
- People are comparing Trump’s EU ambassador to Tekashi 6ix9ine for ‘snitching’ on everyone in the impeachment inquiry
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe