- Gordon Sondland, the US ambassador to the European Union, gave public testimony on Wednesday as part of the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump.
- In his testimony, Sondland confirmed a quid pro quo with the Ukrainian president and implicated several government officials in the arrangement, including Mike Pompeo, the secretary of state, and John Bolton, the former national security adviser.
- In a break in the hearings on Wednesday, the Fox News anchor Bret Baier said Sondland’s testimony was “very damaging to some of the arguments the GOP has been making.”
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
The Fox News anchor Bret Baier said testimony on Wednesday from Gordon Sondland, the US ambassador to the European Union, in the impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump was “very damaging” to the Republican Party’s arguments.
Sondland confirmed a quid pro quo with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and implicated several other government officials, including Mike Pompeo, the secretary of state, and John Bolton, the former national security adviser.
He also testified that Trump instructed him to work with his lawyer Rudy Giuliani to pressure the Ukrainian government into investigating former Vice President Joe Biden and his son Hunter.
In a break from the hearings, Baier said Sondland’s 23-page opening statement and testimony that “everyone was in the loop” regarding the quid pro quo was “very damaging to some of the arguments the GOP has been making.”
He later tweeted a statement from the lead prosecutor in President Bill Clinton’s impeachment trial, Ken Starr.
Starr told Fox News that the position of Rep. Adam Schiff, the House Intelligence Committee chairman, was that “we now know that the president, in fact, committed the crime of bribery.”
Starr added that “this obviously has been one of those bombshell days.”
Real Life. Real News. Real Voices
Help us tell more of the stories that matterBecome a founding member
—Lis Power (@LisPower1) November 20, 2019
Watch Baier’s comments on Sondland:
—Bret Baier (@BretBaier) November 20, 2019
Baier was also critical of the president during last week’s testimony from Marie Yovanovitch. After the president tweeted a critical statement about Yovanovitch during the hearing, Baier said Trump’s actions were “adding an article of impeachment” in “real-time.”
- Read more:
- Somehow A$AP Rocky made it into Trump’s impeachment hearings, and the internet is very puzzled
- ‘He loves your a–‘: Trump’s ambassador to the EU testifies that he and the president use of ‘lots of 4-letter words’
- People are comparing Trump’s EU ambassador to Tekashi 6ix9ine for ‘snitching’ on everyone in the impeachment inquiry
- Gordon Sondland confirms quid pro and implicates Trump, Pompeo, and Bolton in Ukraine investigation in a blistering opening statement — read it here
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe