- Inter Miami wants to bring Manchester City duo Sergio Aguero and David Silva to the Miami Freedom Park, according to reports.
- David Beckham, who co-owns the franchise, is keen on making Aguero one of the club’s “designated players” ahead of its debut MLS season, according to The Sun.
- The reports says Miami has already made contact with Aguero’s representatives, and that the 31-year-old is open to the move as it would move him closer to his family in Argentina.
- Meanwhile, Silva has previously confirmed he will leave City at the end of the stadium, and The Guardian reports that Miami is keen to bring him to Florida.
- A report from The Independent also says Silva is attracted by the idea.
- Read more of our soccer coverage here.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
But that hasn’t stopped a number of Europe’s biggest stars from being linked with a move to the Miami Freedom Park, the latest of which are Manchester City’s Sergio Aguero and David Silva.
Co-owner David Beckham, who helped launch the franchise in 2014, is keen on bringing Aguero to Florida as one of his two “designated players,” according to The Sun.
MLS clubs are allowed two players in their rosters whose cost and wages fall outside the annual cap. They can also pay an excess fee for third.
The Sun’s report says Miami has already made contact with Aguero’s representatives to discuss a potential move, and that the Argentine is not against the move, as it would bring him closer to his son, Benjamin, who currently resides in his home country.
However, Aguero’s contract at City does not expire until 2021, and the 31-year-old, who recently became the English Premier League’s top all-time foreign scorer, has previously reiterated his desire to see his deal out at The Etihad Stadium.
“My idea was being here for 10 years,” he said in December 2018, according to Sky Sports. “I’ve been here for seven years, it’s going to be 10 when the contract expires.”
Aguero’s teammate Silva, however, won’t be at City much longer — the Spaniard confirmed last summer that this was to be his last season in England.
The 34-year-old also said he can “never see” himself “playing against City for another team,” according to The Guardian, opening up a move to pastures further afield, the MLS included.
FC Barcelona’s Sergio Busquets and Real Madrid’s James Rodriguez have also been eyed by Beckham and co., AS reports, while Edinson Cavani’s proposed move has all but collapsed amidst interest from Atletico Madrid and Chelsea, according to Sky Sports.
Miami will play its inaugural MLS game against Los Angeles FC at the Banc of California Stadium on March 1.
It plays its first home game two weeks later on March 14 against Beckham’s former club LA Galaxy.
Real Life. Real News. Real Voices
Help us tell more of the stories that matterBecome a founding member
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe