- Business Insider spoke with insiders, analysts, and producers to profile one of Netflix’s most important executives, Scott Stuber.
- As the head of its original films division, Stuber is not just overseeing the launch of the company’s biggest titles like “Bird Box” and “The Irishman,” but also making Hollywood more comfortable with the streamer.
- Stuber has done a lot, and he’s only been on the job for just over two years.
- Listen to the story below.
- Visit Business Insider’s homepage for more stories.
Netflix has always enjoyed being considered a disruptor in the movie business, but with more competition in the streaming space (Disney Plus, HBO Max) it needs to play nice with the establishment.
Thanks to Scott Stuber, Netflix is doing just that.
As Netflix’s head of original films, Stuber has not just overseen its latest crop of popular titles like “Bird Box,” “The Irishman,” and “Marriage Story,” but has also bridged the gap the streaming giant has with theater owners.
And he’s done all that in just over two years on the job.
Known in Hollywood for his laid-back style and friendships with some of the biggest players in the business, Stuber has done everything from being the head of production at Universal to a full-time producer (“The Break-Up,” “Central Intelligence,” and more). With that knowledge of both the executive and creative worlds, he’s become a perfect fit to run the movie side of a company that wants Hollywood to bend to its will, but also win a few Oscars along the way.
Leading up to the Academy Awards, “The Irishman,” and other Netflix titles like “Marriage Story” and “The Two Popes,” are in high contention for a best picture Oscar nomination, so there could be some fireworks on Hollywood’s biggest night.
Real Life. Real News. Real Voices
Help us tell more of the stories that matterBecome a founding member
A best picture win for a Netflix title would be the first ever for a streaming service, putting Netflix one step closer to becoming the new normal in Hollywood. If that happens, Stuber would be one top forces that made it possible.
You can listen to our profile on Stuber below:
Or read the full story in text format here:
Subscribe to the newsletter news
We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe